RSS

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

No Salt added foods~ oh my

Its bad enough I can't eat foods with dairy in them but one can get around that and still have tasty food to eat.
But having a "No Salt added" diet is a pain. People just don't realize that having a diet of 1000mg or less of salt a day is nigh on impossible in this day and age. One slice of store bought bread and a little ketchup can be over 1000mg of salt per day!
*
So if I want bread, any kind of bread I have to make it.
Oh how I miss having bacon or sausage!! Bacon sadly is a thing of the past but my search was on for a Sausage with out standing flavor and I think I finally ironed it out.

Bangor "No Salt" Sausage

1/2lb lean ground pork
1/2lb Veal or very lean ground hamburger
1/2 to 1 package of no salt Ritz crackers crumbled fine
1/4 tsp blk pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp Mace (can be hard to find so ok if left out)
1/4 tsp ground thyme
1/4 tsp ground Sage
1- large egg well beaten
6oz of Veg shortening or Pork fat
*
Mix together Well- pat into circles or link rounds and cook in pan with a little more shortening until as near to golden brown as you can.
You will be surprised how well this tastes.

Also working on my Chili recipe but right now I just have the ingredients in my head. Will post my recipe as soon as I can.

For all of you out there,, I am still looking for a good tasting Ketchup that is 60mg or less per serving! If you know of a brand please tell me!

0 comments: